From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 08:17:11 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vasectomy, urine analysis
>Two questions.  I was asked what the gravity was for ferret's urine...

Specific gravity is a measure of the concentration of the urine.  Normal
concentrated urine of a ferret should be higher than 1.030 (distilled water
= 1.000).  If the specific gravity is higher than 1.030, you know there is
at least 1/3 of functional kidney mass left.  If it is less than 1.030, you
may have 1) dilute urine because of increased water consumption, 2) less
than 1/3 functional kidney mass, 3) metabolic disease (such as diabetes
mellitus) that cause what is termed solute diuresis or 4) interference of
the normal hormonal control of electrolytes, etc.  by the kidneys.

Testosterone is still present with a vasectomy so marking will still occur.

>From:    "Cinda B. Beach" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Heartworm medicine
>My vet has never given any heartworm medicine for ferrets.  She says it's
>very uncommon for ferrets to get it, just like it is for cats.  (I never

Heartworm is uncommon in ferrets.  There is not an easy way to test ferrets
that has a high level of accuracy for the small adult worm burden that
ferrets get in the disease.  The SNAP or CITE from IDEXX seems best.
Preventive medications are very non-toxic and the monthly chewable
Heartgard30 is usually used.  One third of a chewy is used once a month.
There are very valid concerns regarding how well the ivermectin (the active
ingredient) is mixed throughout the chewable tablet.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.