From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 12:58:21 -0500
Check out the link below to see that the city of Garland, Texas (Dallas/Fort
Worth) has finally updated their website to reflect the city council's
February 17 vote to adopt a revamped animal code that makes it legal to own
a ferret in that city.  The previous code specifically prohibited ferrets.
There are some requirements to be met, primarily rabies vaccination,
registration, and sterilization, along with a home inspection and annual
permit fee.  The permit is, however, an address permit allowing any number
of ferrets at the specified address.  A small step forward in the patchwork
of Texas legalization efforts.

 http://www.ci.garland.tx.us/animal/cogord.htm

The status of quarantining ferrets involved in potential rabies exposure
incidents is still in flux.  Existing rules indicate a 30-day quarantine.
Since the compendium came out, a proposal to include ferrets along with dogs
and cats for a 10-day quarantine has been introduced.  It has not yet been
adopted.  The earliest possible date for adoption is in mid-June.  To review
the proposal, see:

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/texreg/archive/January301998/PROPOSED/health-
services.html#121

for proposal text.  For the exisiting text, see:

http://lamb.sos.state.tx.us/tac/25/I/169/index.html

Please note that James H.  Wright has informed me of their intent to delete
the definition of "shelter" and its use from the proposal due to the
comments they received against its inclusion.  I spoke against the inclusion
of shelters as well as I felt that the definition would have included anyone
who rescues, fosters, or shelters animals.  It was broad enough and placed
strict enough requirements that few if any private individuals would have
been able to participate in rescuing without risking a violation of these
rules.  Texas code also did not give that kind of broad authority to the
Department of Health.  The authority for these rules only really allowed
for definition of rabies quarantine facilities.  Again, it will be at least
mid-June before any final rules could be adopted.

Debra Thomason
Ferret Lovers' Club of Texas, D/FW