Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 21:11:25 -0500
     Daisy you definitely need time to yourself, away from
the kids and the ferrets. You shouldn't feel bad because
you think you need a break. You have some major stress
events going on in your life. A divorce, a new job...those
are going to drain you, along with being very depressing and
demanding. What you need to do is put all the furries in a
cage or bedroom and close the door, then send the kids out
for pizza or to a babysitter and then do something you enjoy.
Take in a movie, go shopping, read a good book in a tub
filled with nice warm water. Do this for you because
you are important and you come first.
     I can sympathize with your frustration over the ferrets
potty habits. I learned that if you give ferrets reign over
the whole house, they can take the easy way out and not bother
to do their thing in the litter box. My first ferret Hun-Hun
had the freedom to roam the house and even after constant
training he would go in his favorite corners. So I placed
multiple layers of newspaper in those corners. The house
was never featured in Home and Garden with almost every
corner draped with newspaper, but what the heck I loved
Hun-Hun and he enjoyed his freedom. With my two wild men
ferrets, they roam the carpeted basement area. Even though
they are restricted to an area they still will not use
a litter pan. They also have their favorite spots to
relieve themselves, so there lies the newspaper. With my
new fossil four (older ferrets), I had to put them in a
extra bedroom that is carpeted, about a 14'x 14' area. I
had 5 litter boxes but most preferred the soft, absorbent
carpet rather then that old rocky clay. Finally after
much tip-toeing around wet and brown spots, I reduced
their area to half the bedroom. Now the majority go in
the litter boxes or on newspaper. Fred is the exception.
He is the 5 1/2 yr.old male who never seeks a corner. He
even goes by the food dish which I thought unusual.
However, the fact that he came to the shelter in a
filthy cage leads me to believe that he never learned
good bathroom etiquette, he probable just went where
there was a clean spot if any. So narrowing down
their space has helped me alot. They still get turned
loose every day to romp and explore the house. This
is after they have used the potty and when the cat is
in the garage. The cat is not the favorite of the ferrets.
And yes, several of my ferrets have relieved themselves
while in the tub getting a bath. I think it is because
it is such a shock to hit that water that they just
can't contain themselves, poor little babies.
     Since you have so much on your shoulders, taking
care of five ferrets and kids to boot can be too much
for anyone....take some time out for yourself for
ferrets sake! Restricting the lovable furries for
awhile doesn't mean you don't love them.
     I hope things lighten and brighten up for you.

                                Judy and the wild bunch,
                                Weezul,Teebone,Fred,Sable,
                                Faucett and Boo.