From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:34:35 -0800
This is in response to Renee's post.  I posted a similar sentement to
Mindy's concerning Petco.  (Actually, it appeared directly following hers)
I don't think the term "ferret stupid" was intended to insult people who
buy from pet stores, (though I do think there are some people who are VERY
ferret stupid!) nor was it intended to lump all persons who buy from pet
stores into any catagory.  The fact of the matter is this: I and most of
the ferret knowledgable persons I know do not want to support Marshall
Farms financially, (and correct me if I'm wrong, but this has to do with
certain poor breeding practices which can result in the "defects" to which
Mindy referred) which means not buying Marshall Farms babies, particularly
from petstores, since that is their primary outlet of sale.  However, this
is VERY unfortunate for the babies.  They did not have a choice about which
breeder they were born to, and if those of us who are knowledgable decide
not to buy from MF, then those ferrets will be adopted by persons who are
not knowledgable.  ("Ferret stupid," not just plain stupid)  As far as
"poor ferrets," I think that term is very applicable to the situation.  If
a ferret is adopted be a "ferret stupid" person because those of us who are
"ferret smart" will not adopt from that pet store, then that ferret stands
a very good chance of being mistreated, even if not intentional, and/or
ending up in a shelter.  I think that is a poor ferret, and I feel sorry
for it.  I love my ferrets, and two of them are MF babies from Petco.  That
does not make me a "ferret stupid" person, and I didn't take offense at
Mindy's comments.  I personally knew quite a lot about ferrets before I got
my first, as I think that is my DUTY!!  (Another reason why "ferret stupid"
people don't do very well with the ferrets they purchase is because they
don't care enough to have learned about the animal before hand!!!)  I also
don't think that Mindy labled people, and I don't think her statements
in any way propogated any kind of racism, bigotry or other prejudices!  I
think her thoughts were well placed, even if you take exception to the way
she expressed them.  We cannot neglect the plight of baby ferrets who do
not get adopted by ferret knowledgable people simply because of where they
were born!!  And not to be mean, but Renee, you seemed to imply that Mindy
lacked some maturity by your "haven't learned not to 'label' people"
comment, though I have to say that your mean and insulting words to her
do not put you in any better light.

Melissa Barnes