From:
Bill and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:25:52 -0700
I have a buddy who's ferret was diagnosed with 'nonregenerative anemia'.
We were both assuming that this was more or less a death sentence for her
Mojo, and the Vet gave her the same impression.  Both the WBCs at 1.8,
and the RBCs at 4.95 are below this lab's 'normal low' values.  The labs
were run on August 31st.

Mojo still looks pretty darn good , and we were both wondering just how
nonregenerative anemia affects the beastie, and what is the time frame
for RBCs hemolyzing in ferrets.

The labwork , and the Doc, did not go into if this is, or could be an
acute condition that will 'cure' it's self, or chronic, with no getting
better.  If the pathophysiology is the same as it is in humans, then are
we really looking a a leukemia-type disorder???  I can find precious
little in the archives, and given the wealth of knowledge I've seen from
FMLer's, felt that you guys would be our best resource, or can point us
in the right direction.

On a happier note, with our Vet asking me to do the Lupron for those who
need it, I have given the non-adrenal ferts 100mcgs, and will do so again
this spring per the newest research that shows this may retard the growth
of adrenal tumors.  Those with tumors that are not surgical candidates
are still getting their monthly 200mcgs with good results.

Thanks in advance!
Michelle, Willie, and the gang of 15