From:
Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:50:03 -0500
>We don't know why she doesn't dook so much, because we give her SOOOO much
>attention, and we play with her lots.  We give her lots of toys, and we
>even make her toys.  We are planning to get her a little boy ferret in two
>months, but until then, what can we do?  Why isn't she dooking a lot?  Is
>she sad or unhappy?  *Sigh* Maybe we're not being good parents?

I FEEL THE SAME WAY.  Oh, Hi, I'm Anna and I have 2 ferrets, Belle, 2 yr
old female and Tigger, 1 yr old male.  My babies don't dook either.  Last
week I got a new toy (a stuffed octopus that squeaks) and Tigger was
dooking all over the place for a minute.  Belle just let the dog (Kylo)
know that it was her toy.  Do you have a dog?  I do and I think he
intimidates them and that has something to do with it.  My boyfriend says
"no" because the ferrets will walk all over him.  I worry so much about
them not being happy and in return me not being a good mom.  Even though
they will bit the dog if he goes after any of their toys I think they are
so busy running for cover that they don't have time to dook.  But if they
don't want to play with Kylo they let him know.  He leaves Belle alone
because she doesn't want to play with him but Tigger likes to play with
Kylo.  Every night we go into a separate room for our playtime without Kylo
but they just open the door to go back into the house after 2 - 5 minutes.
Am I that boring?  They will play with each other and leave me out, even
though they give kisses and let me hold them.  Tigger also dooks if he is
on the bed and me and my boyfriend each grab 2 corners of a sheet and bring
it up and down over his head.  I want to get Belle a female so she doesn't
feel intimidated by Tigger and Kylo but not if I'm not a good mom and can't
keep the one's I have happy.  My boyfriend says that with all the toys that
they have they are very happy.  I'm at a loss too.  I know that as they get
older they get less active but come on now, give me a sign.  Maybe the sign
is that they sleep together and they play together so they are happy?  I
don't know I just want them to look up at me and say "Mommy, we are the
happiest ferrets in the world".  So you are not alone.

Question: Is it a sign that they are bored when they lay flat on their
stomach?  I know in the wild they lay flat so that you can't see them in
the grass so is this just comfortable?

Anna, Belle & Tigger
Belle: "Tigger, her she comes again to play."
Tigger: "Come on Belle, I'll chase you through the tunnel."