Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:56:46 -0700
One of the first emails in my newly cleaned-out email was one from a
person who asked if I could stop on my trip to Portland and give my
Symposium lecture.

I cannot and will not. If for no other reason, it is unethical.

Usually, I will put the lecture in my "can't use" file for about 6
months, and then I put it in my list of available lectures (I have
30+ now). However, giving the same presentation when going to or
returning from a symposium is just not right; I cannot do it.

But you can ask me next year (June + 6 months) and I'll consider it.
And it really doesn't matter if you or members of your group have
already heard it. As many ferret people have experienced and can
testify, even though I might show similar or recycled Powerpoint
slides, I actually work extemporaneously. This means each lecture
is unique and modified to fit the group as it is being given and as
I experience audience feedback. Because lecturing extemporaneously
requires in-depth knowledge, I usually spend 4-6 hours or more studying
lecture concepts the night prior to a talk, which influences what I
might say. Also, I get new ideas, rethink older ones, learn new things,
and other boring stuff, and I have been known to show a slide and tell
the audience I've changed my mind because of better information.
So, even if I didn't think it was unethical, I don't give the same
lecture twice. As for the question of the value of a lecture or my
effectiveness as a presenter, I won't comment on that aspect. I assume
I do ok.

The same person was concerned about the MRSA infection I got while in
hospital after a surgery last January. They were specifically worried
about possible transmission of the disease to other people or ferrets.
I think a lot of the worry stems from the recent drug-resistant Tb
case recently hyped in the media.

There are a lot of ferret issues that I poo-poo or joke about, but
transmission of MRSA is not one of them. MRSA is a drug resistant
bacteria that is commonly found in hospitals (but more increasingly in
the community, where it is termed CA-MRSA). I have been fighting MRSA
in my lungs since a few weeks after my surgery. I have been extremely
concerned about MRSA and my ferrets since it has been documented that
ferrets can become infected by the bacteria.

I am still under antibiotic treatment, but I take weekly tests to see
if I can transmitting the bugs. I am not. Still, I have a bad cough
(especially at night) and shortness of breath, both making it hard for
me to sleep (or let others sleep). For some reason, since I've had
MRSA my snoring has increased in volume, frequency and duration, so an
occasional occurance is now a frequent one. Because of the bad night
cough, difficulty sleeping, and snoring, I am shunning roommates or
"sofa sleepovers" until the problem is resolved. Nonetheless, you and
your ferrets are not at risk. Currently, the only living creature at
risk from this MRSA infection is me.

Bob C