Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:36:55 -0700
>My husband, our two cats, and three fuzzies currently reside in CA.
>We're moving to PA next month.  Are there any check points out of CA?

Nope....No check points leaving the state.

>Are there any precautions we should take?

It would be a good idea to get a Health Certificate (And have all the
shots up to date) for all your animals.  They are good for 10 days.
Arizona once asked me for the Certificate when I entered the state with
my ferrets.  They have never asked again...Could have been an over
zealous inspector..I don't know.

>Any advice would be very helpful.  This will be our first trip w/ our
>fuzzies.

Ferrets travel quite well.  Just keep a couple of things in mind.  Cars
heat up very quickly when parked...even if it is cool outside.  Ferrets
do not do well in heat...even 80 - 90 degree heat...

If at all possible, carry the ferrets in a small cage, not an animal
carrier.  The larger the enclosure, the better they travel.  Have a
hammock they can lie in, and a secure means of keeping water and food
available.  If a larger, wire travel cage is out of the question, get
the largest pet carrier you can fit in the car.

It is not a good idea to let the ferrets loose in the car while
traveling..  they can quickly and easily get under foot of the driver and
create some very serious problems.  They can (and will) get into the dash
and also create issues...getting stuck, etc.  If you do let them stretch
their legs in the car, have them on a leash so you can control their
wanderings.  And never, NEVER, let the ferrets out when you have a window
full open...even with a leash.  That is an invitation for disaster....
like dogs, silly ferrets like to put their faces into the wind (Well..
mine do!) and with their poor eyesight, they could go right out the
window...and the leash will generally be of no value in that situation.

Although not legal, we always sneak our ferrets into fast food
restaurants with us.  (When traveling with them) They like the change of
scenery and the ability to sample the people food.  Many times, the
employees will give us some extra 'food' for the ferrets.  A WORD OF
CAUTION here...don't go overboard feeding fast food to the ferrets....the
salt is not good for them and it can upset their digestive system....the
last thing you want on a trip, is a ferret(s) with diarrhea.  Trust me!

And on this subject....Many people advocate taking bottled water for the
ferrets to drink, when going on long trips where different water sources
will be encountered.  I have never had a problem with my ferrets and
different sources of water.  But..if this *is* a concern, you might want
to take several gallons of the water the ferrets are accustomed to
drinking...I think commercial bottled water is going a bit overboard.

One last precaution...if you are going to camp along the way, do not keep
your ferrets out of the car...too many wild critters that will think your
ferrets are dinner, from birds to ground dwelling carnivores.

I am sure others will add their thoughts as well.  Have fun traveling
with your ferrets...it is always a source of joy when ours join us in our
travels.

MC, The Rude One
With Bancho, Artemus, Squeeks, Abe, and Rudy.  In Spiirt, Bubba,
Billy-Bob, Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.