From:
Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 09:32:59 EDT
Abby writes:
>""I was wondering if you can feed a ferret raw or cooked hamburger,chicken,
>pork, etc.  I still haven't gotten my ferret but am trying to learn as much
>as I can..""

I would never feed raw meat to any animal.  There are many parasites and
bacteria which live in raw meat which can be dangerous if not fatal to your
pets.  Some proponants of raw meat feeding suggest that rinsing the meat in
a solution containing hydrogen peroxide will kill all harmful agents, but I
still wouldn't do it.  There is simply no reason to, given that there are
several well made ferret chows on the market.

If you would like to supplememnt your ferrets diet with meat (although if
you arefeeding a good ferret food there is no need for this), and they will
not eat the cooked meat you are offering, try meat baby foods.  We give
several of ours a spoonful of Beechnut Stages 2 Lamb once a week or so as a
treat- they love it!

-Anne