Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2008 07:59:50 +0000
I've had ferrets for about ten years and lost one of my first ferrets
when he got into the back of my oven and was electrocuted. The landlord
had recently replaced the oven and I hadn't realized that in order to
fit it in he'd removed the side of the cabinet. The ferret went missing
and when I finally saw the slightly opened cabinet door I then
discovered the access to behind the oven. I pulled the range out
slightly out and saw black liquid on the floor. I didn't look further.
My father came over and I left my home while he took the oven apart to
remove Eddy's body and buried him in my backyard :(

Since that tragedy I have completely blocked access to my kitchen. And
when I bought my house I put a baby gate up that blocks access to my
kitchen, bathroom and utility room. The ferrets have plenty of room to
romp in my two bedrooms, living room and dining room. There's just far
too many hazards in those rooms no matter how much you think you've
ferret proofed. When I cook I never have to worry about tripping on a
ferret and spilling something hot on him. When I do my laundry I don't
have to worry about ferrets in the laundry basket. I also don't have to
worry about a ferret pulling the dryer tube off and escaping outdoors.
Or getting into cabinets and having something fall on him.

I missed the post on how someone recently lost a ferret due to
accident. My post isn't in response to that - it's just to say that
ferret proofing can only do so much - you know how curious and
mischievous our ferrets can be. So your best bet is to keep ferrets
out of these rooms - period.

Laura