From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 02:31:27 -0800
To Tony and Donna:

(Excerpt from Reebok's path report:)
> Alterations are suggestive of a primary viral enteritis as commonly
>observed with parvovirus infection.  The possibility of an aggressive
>corona virus with secondary bacterial endotoxemia is also considered.
>...  CULTERE/TEST RESULTS; no salmonella sp.  isolated, no pathogens
>isolated @ 48 hours, no campylobacter sp.  isolated, clostridium
>perfringens isolated.

    Okay, this explains the problem.  The changes in the intestine ar
compatible with what is seen in dogs and cats, and I have seen this several
times in ferrets, but it's not parvovirus.  Parvoviruses have never been
isolated from the ferret intestine, and I have looked on several occasions
myself.  The presence of bacteria and the isolation of Clostridium is
interesting- but the pathologist doesn't comment on whether the bacteria are
consistent with the microscopic appearance of Clostridium or not.

    Clostridium perfringens can produce a toxin that causes similar changes
in the intestine to what has been seen in Reebok and I have long considered
this as a possibility in this condition, but as most of the cases that I
have been sent had no culture results, I have never been able to prove it.
Also a diagnosis of clostridial enterotoxemia depends on a post that was
done immediately after death, because Clostridium is a normal inhabitant of
the intestine, and may proliferate rapidly after death, obscuring its
antemortem levels.

    At this point, we don't know why Clostridium proliferates in certain
ferrets.  I have seen it at the Ntaional Zoo in black-footed ferret kits,
but no predisposing factors were ever found.  It appears to be a very
sporadic disease, and if your other ferrets are okay at this point, I don't
think you have much to worry about with them.

    I wouldn't consder vaccinating for parvovirus at this point - I don't
think there is any use at all in it....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR