From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:42:16 -0400
On Aug 19, 2007, at 4:00 AM, Tammy wrote:
>You mention a scenario of someone leaving behind 'obviously loved'
>herps. IF that were to ever happen, I think it would be safe to say
>that they must not have been loved that much. If you love someone or
>something, you do not just leave it behind.

Evacuees, especially those being rescued at the last minute by boat,
helicopter, or bus, are often prevented from bringing pets. There is
often barely enough room for all the people as it is, and transporting
multiple animals that are strangers to each other leads to fights which
can endanger people. Imagine five people in a rowboat, each bringing a
large scared and protective dog. Also, the primary concern of the
rescuers is to save people. With limited space, which will you leave
behind - a child or a pet?

There are people who, when boats came, refused to go because they could
not bring their pets. In some cases, this turned out well. In others,
the people (and the pets) died. Many had to leave their pets behind to
save their human families. It is a Sofie's Choice.

Claiming that those who had to leave their animals behind did not love
them is rubbing salt in their wounds.

But this points up the necessity for preplanning. Do you know what your
local disaster management policy is on pets? Sometimes recuers will
allow you to take one bag -- will they allow it to be a small carrier?
Do you have an appropriate carrier handy in case of emergency, and will
any other things you might need to take (medications, for example) also
fit in that carrier? Better yet, could you evacuate without depending
on public rescuers who might deny transport to your furkids?

And, are you willing to evacuate early -- get out, even if it's a false
alarm or it leaves your house open to looters -- in order to make sure
your furkids are safe? The earlier you evacuate, the more you can
control the conditions of your leaving.

I have done rescue work. Triage is never easy.

-Claire