Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 13:03:28 EST
Happy Holidays to all

Just want to make certain people grasp that there will be
misunderstandings and mistakes during the attempt to isolate the
wretched possible virus that seems to melt the insides of ferrets. One
person described it as sucking out all the life juices and being left
with a wooden-like ferret that is now unrecognizable within 8 hours.

One person incorrectly wrote he/she had a number of ferrets pass due
to this extreme form of ECE. Actually, the Dr. who saw this persons
ferrets spoke with the main Dr. involved here. It was apparently
actually food poisoning from a raw diet. I write raw diet..not to
incite anyone. I do it to separate it from kibble with contaminated
ingredient or ingredients.

Next, I seem to be reading that the problem may be in quarantining a
ferret that has just come in. Shelters are too clean. Ferrets should
be in the dirt and playing in water with ferrets who have not seen a
vet or received distemper shots. We have created a super bug.

My neighbors dog has had a skin infection it cannot get rid of for over
a year on its underside from something probably sprayed on the grass.
A local shelter here had a serious ring worm situation with its cats
for over one year. A cat that did not get an exam was put in with the
general population. Ringworm is highly contagious. Not enough care was
taken to prevent this problem.

Yet people in England who keep ferrets outside do not apparently have
this fast acting probable virus. They roll in the earth and live in
the elements. There are then, people that appear to be forming camps,
if you will.

No one should feel guilty that they will not make their ferrets live
in 4 feet of snow, or outside next to a hunting dog, or outside where
there may be coyotes in the area. They should not feel guilty that they
cannot take their ferrets out for a wide variety of reasons that are
valid and significant.

People have beloved ferrets living in areas where the animals cannot go
outside. It is what it is. In our panic and high emotions....let us not
talk behind backs in malicous tones no matter what camp you may have
formed. We just do not know what this is yet.

One helpful hint from one of the cat shelters here...Bleach and water
on sponges in a tray in front of your entrance are to be used by all
who enter. Wear old sneakers. Or take your shoes off outside.Or take
your shoes off in the house. Put them where the ferties cannot reach.
I just had a handyman come in to secure an area for my shoes that the
little ones cannot get into.

Stay away from picking up babies at the pet store. They can be carriers
of ECE. If one of yours falls ill, try and keep him or her in another
room. Read up on what is helping to save the ferrets life thus far.
Print out the info. in case you need it ASAP. Have a lab coat or old
shirt you wear just with the little one. It might not matter. It might
be air born. But it could save the others.

Use caution and common sense. And be kind to others in your heart. We
do not need to form these camps. We need to be honest. Offer thoughts
without the barbs.

Pray for all the little ones who are ill that they survive. Pray for
the shelter moms and dads for their health. Say a prayer for all those
little waifs who need a forever home, that this be the year they find
the family to love them through thick and thin, sickness and health.

Lisette