Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:03:05 -0500
>I read on one of my ferret lists that you should give 1/2 tablet of papaya
>extract.  Now, I can't find that article.  Does anyone know why to give
>this to ferrets?  I think there was a specific situation in which it
>should be given.

Papaya extract contains an enzyme called papain which can help to break
down protein.  (My Webster's dictionary notes that papain is also used in
commercial meat tenderizer for this purpose.)

I had a rabbit for many years, and a lot of rabbit owners feed their
rabbits papaya tablets to break down hairballs in their stomach.  I don't
know if it would do the same for ferrets, but I would imagine this is why
the person on the ferret list suggested it.

- Ela

Ela Heyn
Harborside Mail Stop 3024
201-860-3336