From:
"Bossart, Richard K" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 08:02:20 -0500
When I first read the post about the "possible rabid ferret in MA" I was
very upset.  My immediate response was to write a post blasting the person.
I'm really glad I decided to wait and think through the event.  I tried
putting myself in the rescuer's position and soon realized there was no
malicious intent on their part.  That person was honestly trying to save
the ferret and doing the best that they knew how.  I do hope that the test
on the ferret will come back negative.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this tragedy, though.  I'm
not aiming these comments at the rescuer, but suggesting these to anyone
who is in a position to, or wishes to, become involved in ferret rescue.
These are, of course, my own opinions on the matter.  I'm sure others have
different ones.

First off, realize that a ferret who has been "in the wild" for any length
of time is probably very frightened, hungry, thirsty and confused.  The
ferret may have been neglected or abused by the former owner.  If you are
into ferret rescue, buy and carry in your car a pair of heavy welding
gloves.  These, and careful handling procedures will help protect you from
being bitten by the frightened animal.

Secondly, nothing that I know of will give you 100% protection.  Ferrets
are quick; ferret jaws are strong; ferret teeth are sharp.  Expect to be
bitten at some time.  Either accept that as a fact, or get the name of an
experienced rescue group and contact them rather than attempting it
yourself.

Next, arm yourself with the facts about ferrets and rabies.  In my opinion,
most Public Health officials and much of the medical community are really
operating from ignorance and misinformation about ferrets and rabies.  They
tend to panic, then panic the bite victim into believing that they will
die unless the ferret is killed and tested immediately.  Yes, rabies is a
terrible disease.  Yes, ferrets get rabies.  But rabies in ferrets is rare
and a ferret that is actually infectious is even rarer.  There has yet to
be a case of a ferret transmitting rabies to a human or any other animal
in the Centers for Disease Control records.  Ferrets usually die of the
disease before they can pass it on.  The virus has to migrate to the brain;
then to the salivary glands; then to the saliva before it can infect
through a bite.  That usually takes weeks to months.  A fresh wound means
that, although the ferret may have been infected, it is unlikely that it
is yet contagious.

In MA, the policy on ferrets is that a 10-day quarantine can be applied to
vaccinated or unvaccinated ferrets.  The MA law requires that all ferrets
be inoculated against rabies.  There is a good possibility that this
particular ferret was protected against rabies.

A ferret that is potentially infectious with rabies will become symptomatic
or die within a few days.  (I believe 6 days was the maximum in the recent
KSUVM/CDC shedding studies.  Of the very few that did become infectious,
they died almost immediately.  Nearly all of the ferrets who became
infected with rabies died before they became infectious.) If you receive a
GG shot and especially the first of the rabies series, I feel that you can
wait out that period to see if the ferret becomes symptomatic.  Everyone in
my family has been involved in ferret rescue for years and I'd say nearly
every one of us has been bitten at one time or another when we've not
followed our own procedures.  My approach is to simply wash the wound and
wait out the few days.

Again, I am not "flaming" the poster.  I believe that everyone on the FML
is a potential rescuer and, in that light, needs to prepare for the rescue
by having the necessary equipment and information on hand.

Dick B.