From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:55:29 -0800
>From:    Jason Creager <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret's relationship to rodents
>What animal would make a scientifically accurate similar comparison for
>more familiar animals such as dogs or cats?  I'm looking for something
>along the lines of "Well, a ferret is as much rat as a dog is...."

A rodent.

A ferret is as much like a rat as a cat is like a mouse.  That is nice
since people think of cats as being good to get rid of mice and ferrets
have indeed been bred as ratters...

Dogs, cats and ferrets are all members of carnivora, while rodents are
not.

>From:    Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dumb Distemper Question
>Why do older ferret's with no history need three distemper shots?

They don't.  Two shots, three weeks apart.  The three shot series as kits
is really two meaningful shots and one "just in case".

Sometimes the momma's antibodies are still working and negate the first
shot.  Sometimes they aren't.  So the first shot is "just in case" they
lose the protection from momma early.  The third shot is "just in case"
they didn't.  Zen terminology but the information came directly from a
vet working for United Vaccines.

>From:    Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Brownish Teeth/Gingavitis

A brown tooth could be one of three things.  Really bad tartar fixed
by a vet scaling the tooth.  Staining often from wood pellet litter or
the like not really needing to be fixed.  Or a dead or dying tooth which
is fixed by removal by a vet.  So...  let the vet tell you which if you
can't tell.

Gingivitis is an infection in the gum and is usually treated by cleaning
the teeth.  Well better prevented by keeping the teeth clean enough in the
first place.

>From:    Erin Pollitt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: miniature males
>Where can I get more information on this "flaw"?

Well we could ask our ferret - Rudy the Ferlospher - but I don't think
he'll tell us.  He's another like that.  If Rocki is healthy than don't
worry about it.  Some guys are just small.  Being as bill is um... er...
not exactly all that oversized as a human and it doesn't really mean
much other than needing the step stool more often don't worry about it.

B&D
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets