From:
Pauline Peach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:00:42 -0500
I don't post often, but post about the ferret in the garage really touched
my heart.  I'm a single lady with a huge love of all animals especially
ferrets.  I've rescued a few.  One of my rescues was female albino of abou
1 or 1.5yo.  The person who had her was an elderly man in his 80's.  He had
many animals and many ferrets.  None of his animals were well cared for
because he simply couldn't do it.  On February I went to see his errets.
I live in central Maine and it gets very cold in February.  His whole back
yard where the ferrets were kept in open cages was an ice skating rink and
I about broke my neck getting to the ferret cage.  When I got there, there
were several ferret in several cages.  None of the cages had been cleaned
in months and were about half full of feces.  He just dumped the food on
top.  The water was frozen.  The man was in a generous mood and said that I
could have any ferret that I wanted.  I chose an albno female that didn't
look like it would last the rest of the week.  She was so thin that a
friend described her as looking like a pencil with head on it.  Even though
she was urine yellow and stunk I imediately stuck her in my jacket to keep
her warm.  I took her straight to the vet, who said that he'd try to help
me save her.  I named her "Spook".  She was blind due to vitamin
deficiency, but she was the most loving ferret I ever had.  I had to teach
her to play.  She lived a warm, dry, clean, and well fed life from there.
She mostly had free run of the house.  A friend went and got the rest of
the ferrets.  The aco was called and most of the other animals were also
taken.  The man was not a bad man, he just couldn't take care of so many
animals.  Sorry for the long post.  It is sad to hear about the little
ones that are neglected, but good to hear about the ones who finaly end
up with a good life.  Hugs and ferrt kisses.

From the Peach Squirt and Splash