From:
Jackie DeCarlo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:55:29 -0600
I will never ever say "It can never happen to me" again.  In looking over
previous medical records I noticed Peanut was due for her Distemper shot
this past Oct.  You see, Peanut is a rescue and I have only had her approx.
5 months.  The reason also being our TRFC is having a Christmas party and
I wanted to take Peanut but we are requiring proof of vaccinations.  So
make appt for checkup and shot.  Peanut was declared in excellent health,
received her shot and I said I was going to wait about 15 min to make sure
everything is ok..  Killed time making friends in vet office so decided
she was ok after 15 min and left..  No more than 5 min she started throwing
up, but figured the stress has caught up with her plus maybe a little car
sickness.  Put my hand in the carrier to try and calm her down.  Still
throwing up.  Seemed to calm down so kept heading home.... Put hand in
carrier again because she was quiet.  Still driving, pulled her from
carrier, verrrrrrrrrrry listless..  Headed back to vet.  Put her in my lap
on her back and kept trying to stimulate her.  Picked her up, head flopping
back and forth, no response, blew on her face, no response, Crying, holding
ferret and driving fast is not a good combination in traffic....

Tried doing cpr (was trying anything), yea!!!... a slight movement, this
part may not be for the weak at stomach but I covered her nose and mouth
and blew air into her.... a tiny response but nonetheless something....
Flew to vet pleading with Peanut to hold on, still giving her air, praying
that I am doing the right thing... Arrived at vet, (seemed like hours), ran
in telling them she is having a reaction to her shot, praying she is not
dead...Never seen a place move so fast.....they ran into the back with her,
next thing I see the 2 vets running in the back... In about 5 min I asked
how she was doing (I think by now I needed a doc).  Tech went back and came
out saying they have her on oxygen, gave her a shot to counteract the
vaccine and was doing some blood work.... 10 min later tech comes out to
say vet wants to talk to me, praying they are not going to give me bad
news...... Vet comes in and says she is coming around and holding her own
and they will keep her for a couple of hours to make sure she is ok....
Drove home (why do these little things make you love them so much it
resorts you a crying machine?).  An hour later received phone call, hope
it's not bad news, picked up phone, shaking when they said who they were
but sooooooooooooooo relieved when they said I can pick her up in another
hour and that she is up and about playing....Arrived at hospital, met a
friend there (Barb Carlson) funny how you meet people in strange places,
Peanut looks GREAT..... You would of never thought to look at her what she
had been thru....... Finally left there to go home...... OH NO!!!!  Peanut
is throwing up again, thank god I am only 4 blocks away..... Turned around
headed back to vet.... but this time it was possibly just a reaction to the
stress and medication, etc..... Brought her home finally and she is doing
great............. but to get back to what the whole story is about......
I will never take anything for granted again, like "it couldn't happen to
me",,,, they are tooooo precious and I will cherish every minute I have
with them.... knowing that this could of had a tragedy ending......

Please excuse any mistakes in spelling or anteing else, only been home a
short time and still shaking......... Just to remind everyone to hang
around a little longer at the vet when they receive their shots, if I
would of stayed an extra 5 min this extreme may never had happened..
Please hug the little ones a little tighter, well wishes to the ill ones
and condolences to the humans for the ones who went to the bridge.....

Jackie    (a nervous wreck)
Peanut    (now, can I go to that dumb Christmas party?)
Taz       (quit hugging me soooooooo tight)