Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:07:47 -0800
From:
Trish Gelvin <[log in to unmask]>
First, thank you all for the warm thoughts, prayers, advice.

When I took Lou into the first vet on Monday, he told me it wasn't ECE but
E-colli.  And that he didn't have ulcers, either.  And to feed him only the
nutro-malt stuff for today and 'see how it goes.' He did at least give Lou
a sub-q fluids, and sent me home with Albon.

I was sooooo pisssssssed!  No carafate, and he had a 4+ yo female ferret of
his own he was probably going to contaminate because he didn't take the
risk seriously, not to mention the other ferrets that are taken to that
animal hospital!

So I called the mobile vet here in Phoenix who specializes in exotics.  He
came out the next day, saw the set-up I had, listened to me, showed me how
to give sub-q's, and gave me carafate.

Lou is not yet eating on his own, but he does take the occasional moisted
kibble and will eat one, then hide the next.  At least he is showing
interest.

And he isn't grinding his teeth as much.  He'll grind when he sees the
syringe, but then (if it is for food and not medicine) he will stop.  And
he will occasionally drink water from a bowl if I offer it to him.  He
a lso has taken water directly from the faucet (a favorite of his).

Thanks all!

Trish & Crew