Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:53:54 -0000
Hello all - I'm Melissa, and I live in St.  Louis, MO with 2 ferrets,
Mishka (3 1/2 year old male 4 1/4 lb DEW - private breeder) and Buttons
(2 1/2 silver mitt 1 lb MF).  Although I have owned ferrets since 1993, I
think that Mishka and Buttons will probably be my last for a while.  Like
so many other people on this list, I've had a hard year, losing 2 of my 4
exactly 6 months apart.  Perhaps I'm a weak person, but I just can't bear
to bring home any more of these darling children, knowing I'll have to say
goodbye in just a couple years.  Already, my little Buttons has adrenal
disorder, and will shortly have to have surgery, at just 28 months!

i think of ferrets as the ultimate "carpe diem" pet - they have to live at
high speed, because they're not here for long.  Perhaps the lesson they are
here to teach us is to appreciate the time we have, and to love the special
people in our lives to the fullest, every single day.  I will always try to
help ferrets, and the shelters that care for them, but I think that the
next time I'm able to bring home a pet, I'm choosing a puppy :(

God Bless you all, and Happy Holidays!