From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:22:31 -0500
Lisette wrote:
>The moral of this story?
>Ladies:  IT IS NOT  SIZE THAT MATTERS

True.  Hjalmar Ferret wouldn't leave my side for 6 weeks when I had major
surgery about 9 year ago or so.  Still, the reality is that husbands don't
have to be like the ones Lisette described.  Steve is always here for me --
thick or thin.  Not all husbands (or wives) are Good Time Charlies.  It is
a person's responsibility to the spouse to not be one, and responsibility
to oneself to not marry one.

Great to read more about dedicated ferrets, and I hope you are feeling
better!

Oh, you remember that tube that helps Meeteetse in getting back her rear
leg muscles?  Well, we noticed that suddenly Warp was low on fur in two
stripes.  Now, it COULD still be adrenal, but the stripes are RIGHT where
the tubes rubs her sides!  Hmmmm...

The ferrets are curious about the hummus bi tahini, stuffed grape leaves
with lemon, and baklava smell on me.  Yep, I have been spoiled for my big
annual day.  (Next year is the hard one -- 50 -- so have to figure out some
sorts of foods with even more interesting smells to leave on my breath to
amaze the ferrets.  Suggestions?  Banana Coconut Cream Pie might be win in
2000.  What do you think?)

Arrgghhhhhh -- they have decided that one of the bookcases is a perfect
toilet!

We do BOTH one on one time and group time -- sometimes in large groups and
sometimes small.  They seem to really enjoy each of these variants but in
different ways.  We find that one on one time is probably the best for
noticing things like early stages of illness when treatment is much easier;
also better for cuddling with some of them since some won't do much of that
in a group setting.

Plunked down over $200 yesterday, but Seven has working teeth again, and
only had to lose one though a lot had a good deal of care.  We've never
had one with such horrid general dental health, though we've had some with
specific problems.  His teeth were goldenrod color with plaque.  Now we
need to give him a little time.  He is annoyed at his antibiotics so Steve
is "in the doghouse" for a few hours twice daily; I can't give them because
I'm very allergic to even splashes from this type.  He's had his general
check-up and his ear mite and fecal checks, so now it's just vaccinations
for this little surprise family member.

Meeteetse met Seven today and they REALLY LIKED each other.  Now we'll
start the other intros.  Would have waited longer but he had no evidence of
illness for the more than a month that he was in the shelter and all but
one of our rest have already been ECE exposed.