From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:52:56 -0500
Richard wrote:
>We actually had our 1st ferret way way wwwaaaayyyyyy back in 1976!  Long
>before the FML...or the Internet...or even home computers....the virtual
>'dark ages' as far as ferret info was concerned!

'76 -- ah, Arpanet and Theorynet, etc.  -- but not at home, and tiny
home-built computers.  Steve had one of the second (IMASI) a bit later, and
Steve started on a net in '76 and then was on regularly the following year
(on a DEC KL10), so that's a big year for him.  You brought back memories
for him; thanks for that!!!!!  There were folks on earlier; home use came
MUCH later.  Thanks, again!  Some people here will chuckle at the
references.  [Hey, I remember the IMSAI!  Built one with a friend!  BIG]

I'm really ENJOYING the introductions, and it's neat finding out about the
assorted quiet folks who have had ferrets for so very long that they count
in decades, or who have recollections from earlier ferrets even with times
in between.  You are all treasures!  Please, speak up more.  Two decades,
three decades... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your group can tell about things that
we'd never know otherwise, like that very informative mention that old
British ferret-keepers made sure they had dark sleeping boxes and
considered that a health issue.  Neat stuff!!!!!!  Please, tell us your
recollections any time you feel like doing so.

Judith wrote:
>what I found is this: A normally active young ferret that when playing
>would grab the child (or adult) with its teeth.  It did not break the skin
>and was actually behaving very normally and gently.  but because it used
>its teeth to play was constantly being punished.  PLEASE people realize
>ferrets play with their teeth.

Yes, they don't exactly have hands!  Expect what you would with a kitten
of pup, but with shorter and pointier teeth.  Also, if there is a lot of
teething chewing going on be sure to have the vet check for things like
entrapped teeth and abcesses.  Don't forget to use Cheweasels to help get
past the teething pain.  Think how you'd feel with something slicing its
way through your gums and accept that they need to try to reduce this pain.

If you want or need to learn more about training look at Regina's
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083/probintro.html