From:
FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:28:37 -0800
>My senior ferret Ricky, who just recently recovered from a bout of
>unexplained diarreah now seems to have a prolapsed rectum. *sigh*  I
>noticed him scooting his butt around the rug and looking genuinely
>uncomfortable early this evening.

My vet explained to me that this is not a prolapsed rectum.  It's inflamed
and "pouchy" but not prolapsed.  This solution is from my vet.  I tried
other compounds and they didn't work nearly as well.

Get some Anusol HC-1 at the drug store.  Put some linatone (or other oil)
on their belly to distract them.  Put the Anusol on the rectum and push in
gently and hold it in for a short while.  Repeat this twice daily for at
least a week.  For animals with chronic problems, get in the habit of doing
this twice daily and there should be no more problems.

If there is an infection, Baytril (by prescription) works very well.

    -Carla