From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:17:00 +1300
[Courtesy copy sent to the cited authors]

Dear Chloe and Kona,

It is with a heavy heart that I report that yes New Zealand could well
become the California of the South Pacific.

The page you point to (http://www.doc.govt.nz/cons/pests/fact53.htm) and
the "Discussion Document" it mentions (which has most of that page in it
verbatim) makes the CDFG seem like brain surgeons (apologies to any brain
surgeons on the FML).

The "Discussion Document" is available as a large (because of the graphics)
PDF file from: http://www.doc.govt.nz/pdfs/ferret_discussion.pdf .  If
anyone has trouble getting it, they can eMail me privately and I will
forward a graphic-less Microsoft Word document.  Note that the graphics
that I have stripped are not relevant to the topic, apart from showing
people not familiar with ferrets what they look like ie. there are no
charts or diagrams to support the Department of Conservation's (DOC)
"case".

The situation here in New Zealand is quite bizarre, all things considered.
The minister of conservation is on record as saying that he does not
believe pet ferrets pose a significant threat to wildlife.  However he
has done an about face due to pressure from Forest and Bird Society
eco-fascists and career bureaucrats in local councils, and commissioned
this "Discussion Document".  A document full of statements and anecdotal
evidence (there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one) that are not backed up
with a shred of evidence (the author told me that he feels he does not have
to justify his statements, since this not a scientific document <sigh>).
It is a sad indictment of the quality of Government in New Zealand that
this document ever saw the light of day, let alone have been endorsed by
a minister of the crown (read it, you'll see I'm not exaggerating).

The minister makes it clear that he is going to enact new legislation -
probably transferring control to the local councils who already have
significant control over our (property owners) lives via a draconian piece
of legislation called the Resource Management Act.  The way I understand it
(the author would not elaborate for me) is that the new legislation would
come under the Bio Security Act, meaning that the local councils could
enact local by-laws (which several regions are champing at the bit to do).
Personally I believe the current laws (see
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village/9074/Wildlife_Regs.html)
are reasonably adequate (with some minor tweaking) *if* they are enforced.
The documents author makes several assertions that people and pet shops are
breaking the law, yet he would not give me evidence, nor would he tell me
why these people were not being prosecuted.  New Zealand Governments are
really legislation happy, creating new laws at the drop of a hat, with
minimal public consultation.  And we New Zealanders let them, being
conditioned as we are to having the state do our thinking for us.

This last weekend, the conservation minister lost his job, due to his party
being ousted in the general election.  It is not clear (to me) what will
happen to this "issue" in the near future.

As an aside, I (and others in my region) have had dealings with local DOC
staff and I have been very impressed with them.  They do not seem to share
their (ex.) ministers new opinions or if they do it certainly doesn't show-
apart from typical bureaucratic red tape delays, all my dealings with DOC
staff (in obtaining a ferret farming license which I posted about in
September) have been very pleasant and very professional.

I am in the process of preparing a submission in response to this
"Discussion Document", but it is hard going.  It is hard to believe that
this is even happening and when I force myself to work on the submission I
find myself getting so worked up (as you can probably tell by this post).
Ferret PAWS NZ Inc., our national body is also making a submission.

Ferret PAWS is optimistic that pet ferrets won't be banned outright.
Personally, I'm not so confident, especially if it is left to local council
bureaucrats to create their own by-laws.

One thing is for sure, I *won't* be giving up my companions.

Regards,
-David, Thor, Grover & Lady Penelope