From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:34:29 +0100
I've just got back from the vets with Kurt, my poley hob.  The right side
of Kurt's face had swollen up overnight.  I had a shock when I checked Kurt
when I arrived at the vets, there was blood on the bedding and there was
blood coming from his mouth.  We did a bit of queue jumping and went in
before another client.

The vet tried to open Kurt's mouth but he couldn't manage it but he did
manage to see that Kurt had an tooth root abscess.  He gave him an
antibiotic shot to hold him over until tomorrow when he'll have the tooth
extracted.  The vet said that there could be risk of damage to Kurt upper
jaw if the tooth is healthy.

Kurt is my number one poley and has been with me for 6 years, I guess he's
about 7 y.o. now and my best working ferret.  I'm dreading tomorrow...

Last Saturday I took in a 10 y.o.  albino hob.  His owner had died and the
lady that had been looking after Fergle could no longer keep him.  Fergle
is suffering from alopecia due to a testicular tumour.  The lady's husband
had taken Fergle to the vet on Friday where he'd paid for Fergle to be
castrated, have a wart removed from his ear and his teeth cleaned.  The vet
expects Fergle to get his hair back now he's been operated on.  For a 10
y.o. ferret he's really active, trots around the room for an hour before
he takes himself back into his cage and snuggles up his bed.

One good bit of news is that Fritz has now got his hair back - he had been
bald for nearly two years.  The vets were stumped as to why he'd lost his
coat in the first place - I guess it'll have to go down to cause unknown.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare.
Membership Secretary & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 8 October 1999
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath, Button,
Bill, Bobby, Jasper, Inga & Holly
The views expressed are not necessarily those of the NFWS.