From:
Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:28:48 +0800
William Killian - Zen and the Art of Ferrets <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Skip the stud books and the FURO rules.  Get "The FURO book of Ferrets"
>that you didn't mention.  And "Tao Full of Detours: The Behavior of the
>Domestic Ferret" that is the best of the bunch.

Well I didn't mention them as I *can* get ahold of them easily ... it was
the others I couldn't...

>The stud books are just lists of ferrets that by now are deceased.  The
>information is rigidly and copyrighted so it can't even be used to build a
>database of ancestry - that is specifically disallowed.  FURO is gone as
>far as shows go and they had an overgenerous allocation of different
>colors that are not realistic.  Lilac?  If you want to do something about
>starting up shows down under, then work with groups whose systems have
>succeeded.

Well - they are not too keen on having conformation shows here.  I was
mainly interested in them as a reference for the club here - htey have a
wonderful library and I have finally seen Furo's "Weasel Help" magazine
years 1991 - 1995.  Really interesting articles and concepts in there.  I
understand about the colors and that there are still some breeders that
stick to those color standards.  I also was interested in seeing what sort
of judging standards they had.  I have seen the GLFA's, but not the AFA's
of LIFE's (hint hint - if anybody would like to donate them incase they
*did* accept conformation shows .  .  .  please contact me!).  As for the
stud books it was just for pure curiosity!  Just wondered what information
they had and how it was presented.

>The Reproduction book is very interesting but wrong in many cases.  Get it
>anyway!

Hmm ... really?  What exactly were those?  (You may mail me privatly if you
wish)

Thanks to all that have pointed me in Hildy's directions!  I have sent her
off an e-mail and am looking forward to finding out if she will ship to
Australia!