From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:47:00 EST
Well I can't think of a funny story off hand.... as it seems life with
ferrets is one huge laugh.  But I can tell you something odd and cute ...
If you all recall my son Sean is autistic.  We have two deaf ferrets that
are 6 months old.  One of the many characteristics of autism is that when
young especially, kids have a hard time learning their body perimeters.  It
is hard for them to share at all because they get attached to odd things
obsessively, and they see things as "part" of them.  Now most of the time
as kids, thing like this can be a string, rubberband, coffee can, all sorts
of unusual things.  It is never a person or animal, or doll.  As adults the
symptoms may go on to a coat for instance... and they may not be able to
bear you throwing your coat on theirs (it feels sufficating).

Well we have been experiencing break throughs with Sean.  One of the
largest was being able to have ferrets back in our lives safely.  Not only
was Sean fine, but he got so attached he became possessive.  While he was
adjusting to them, people were not allowed to touch them, and at times even
"look" at them.  So we would have people come to see the new babies, and
there would be Sean going, "AHHGT!  NO!  NO LOOK!  They are babies!".  If
we pushed it and let the visiter hold a ferret, etc... our Sean would just
fall apart in tantrums.  So funny.  Poor, poor guests!!  "MOOOMMY!  Their
looking at them again!"

wolfy