Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:42:03 EST
Sherri asks:
>Subject: ferret judging
>Hi, I would like to know how to go about either becoming a judge or
>gaining information about what judges look for in various specialty and
>championship divisions.

If you are interested in becoming a LIFE judge - you can email Rose Smith
at [log in to unmask] - she is the judges coordinator for LIFE.  The easiest
thing to do is at the next LIFE show - volunteer to steward!  Its a lot of
fun, you learn some new things about ferrets in general, and a lot about
shows!  Its definitely been a rewarding experience for me - but I have to
admit - sometimes the most fun is awarding the ribbons and trophies!  LOL

>Do judges have a certain ferret prototype in mind when judging?  Does body
>type make a difference?

Yes and no.  If a ferret has a bulldog head, the body should match.  Lean,
small ribcages on large framed ferrets would not do well in a Championship
ring - but may do very nicely in Specialty.  For instance, my favorite
ring: mitts.  I love mitts - and especially that Chocolate Mitt that Vicki
McKimmey has ::::drool:::::: I swear she dipped that poor fellas feet in
Clorox!  They are *that* perfect!  Anyway - mitts are fun - they shouldn't
be too long, only covering the foot, and must match up side/side as well as
front/back.  Bib should be clearly demarcated - darker mitts should have a
mask.  Body type should not matter - everyone has their own preference -
but thats where you have to be careful.  I am partial to the tiny little
girls - thats why I try very hard not to be prejudiced when judging.

My prototype for a Championship ring is a well-put together ferret - eyes
are clear and bright - match the face.  Facial features are even and in
proportion.  Eyes to ears, eyes to nose equadistant.  No extra toes - no
kinks/fuses in the tail.  Tail is in proportion to the body (too long or
too short goes against - poor panda ferrets often suffer here) Body is
in proportion to the head.  Muscle tone should be good, no skeletal
deformities (missing limbs, short legs, etc).  Once you do all of that,
then you look at the color or pattern.  A well put together ferret with a
so-so pattern will place higher in Championship than in Specialty.

>Do LIFE judges look for things differently than AFA judges?

In championship, honestly I don't think so - but I am not an AFA judge, so
I am truly not qualified to say that.  In Specialty, I think only in the
descriptions of the colors - again, Black Sables seem to be one of the
colors that they disagree.  I say that because my black sable girl does
better against LIFE standards - at every AFA show she has been to, the
judge said that she would do better in sable rings - even though she has
a hood and black nose leather.

>Is a championship show more rigorously judged than other kind of shows?
>What are judges looking for in championships kits for example?

I think I answered this already, but here goes: In a kit, you do allow for
behavior - but biting is a no-no, in this judges' opinion.  Multiple bites,
especially those that break the skin, go against any ferret, including a
kit.  In a kit I am looking for the promise of adulthood: Yeah, the feet
are might still be a little big - and so might the head (depending on how
close to the minimum age the kit is)- but the skeletal structure is in
place, the skull proportions will be there - color will most likely change.

>There are so many questions......Can any of the judges out there on the
>FML help me out?  Do new judges go through an internship with another
>judge before they go it on their own?

If I haven't answered any of your questions, Sherry, please feel free to
ask me anytime.  If you are ever at any ferret show, please volunteer!

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854