From:
marynn noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:46:53 PST
Hi!  I have been lurking on this list for about three years.  I can't
remember ever reading about a situation like the one I'm experiencing.  My
3.5 yr. old female ferret got a real bad case of diarrhea 11/12/99.  I
brought her to my vet the following monday.  He thought it was a bacterial
infection.  He prescribed amoxicillian and imodiam.  She showed some
improvement over the next few days.  Friday night her condition started to
decline again and now she was also vomiting.  Monday morning we went to the
vet again.  He decided to treat her for prolific bowel disease.  He changed
medication to chloraphenicol.  She showed improvement for the next few
days, by that Friday night, her condition starting declining again.  On our
next visit he changed medication to pepto-bismol and Flagyl.  She showed
great improvement for several days, vomiting ceased, she had resumed eating
on her own, and stools were normal, until saturday.  She began vomiting
again, stools became very loose, and I had to start force feeding her
again.  Today, I brought her to the vet again and upon examining her, he
thinks he feels a lump in the abdomen area.  We are returning tomorrow to
have an ultra sound of this area done.  I have stopped all medication and I
am just feeding baby food for the night.  I think I just need some feedback
from anyone that has experienced this type of situation.

Thanks!
Maryann