From:
"Butts, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:33:45 -0500
Hi, just had a question for pet owners around the world.  I was having
diner with a couple of people from England and one from Germany last night
and I can not remember how it came up but we started talking about our pets
and I mentioned something about toys.  Well, apparently none of them had
ever heard of getting toys for your pets!  I was shocked, because except
for pets kept outside, everyone I know in the US has at least a couple of
toys for their pets.  Just curious if this is only an American thing.
Though most of my ferrets toys are homemade, I couldn't imagine her not
having them, or my dog not having his favorite tug/chew toy!

On another note, I have to say I was very upset with the attitude of the
people I was with toward ferrets :(  Granted the one woman had seen a very
ill behaved ferret bite someone hard...that might scare me a bit as well if
I didn't know anything about them.  But of course I rushed to the fuzzies'
defense with how they need to handled and raised with love and attention
just like any other pet, etc.  Also how they have been domesticated for
hundreds of years and there are no wild ferrets.  But the one guy kept
saying he thought they were still wild and couldn't believe all the wild
animals that were sold as pets in the US!  I was very upset that I failed
to convert the uneducated, but I guess some people you just can't reach :(
I guess this is why I do not tell most people that I have a ferret, because
it hurts me when other people think she is a mean malicious creature, when
in truth she is such a people lover and would never bite.  Ok, sorry for
the rant, just had to express my distress to other fuzzy lovers!

Hugs to all your misunderstood fuzzies!

Jenna