Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:31:29 -0500
I wrote the attached message yesterday and sent it to faiml.  It was
suggested that I also send it to FML, so here it is.  Since then, with the
help of faiml subscribers my vet and I decided to put Buzz on carafate,
amoixicillian, pedia-pred and feed him Iams lamb & rice.  The problem is
that I can't find pedia-pred anymore.  The pharmacy said the manufacturer
quit making it.  I do have prednisone, but Buzz hates the taste, did I say
hates.  These medications are supposed to help him if he has ulcers, ECE,
bowel Disease, and keep him from developing a secondary infection.  Does
anyone have any more ideas?

I also have a second question... If I mix IAMS lamb and rice with baby
food, is it okay if I use beef baby food?  I was told to use Lamb, but I
can't find any.  I know that I need to stay away from chicken and turkey
incase Buzz is allergic to them.

Joy
Indiana, PA
[Moderator's note: Just got Pediapred a few weeks ago.  You sure they
stopped making it?  The label says Medeva Pharmaceuticals in Fort
Worth, TX.  BIG]

                    [--- attached note ---]
Hello,

I need suggestions . . . I took Buzz to the vet last week (he's seven
years old), he was throwing up, lost a few ounces and seemed dehydrated.
The vet took an x-ray and said that he had a thickened colon.  She said it
could be a disease that is rare in ferrets or cancer, the only way to tell
for sure is a biopsy.  Because of his age she suggested putting him on
prednisone and reglan (this is supposed to help him digest faster so that
he don't throw up).  She also gave him sub-q fluids.  He is eating duck
soup, and treats on occasion on his own but he is still losing weight and
occasionally throwing up.  I don't know what to do.  I don't want to force
feed him (quality of life) if he is dying, I don't want to stress him.  I
don't want to operate if it can't help him or cause the cancer to spread
more, if it hasn't already.  Most important, I don't want him to suffer.
I have had seven ferrets pass on and I have never had to help them along,
although it's been close.  He still gets around the house, he also sleeps
a great deal.  Is there anything I could/should do???  Any suggestions???
Please don't wait for the next faiml, e-mail directly.  Thank you.

Joy