From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:35:13 -0500

That is an area that should be of considerable concern.  We're seeing them
developing adrenal disease AND insulinoma at a much earlier age.  My own
Spaz had his left adrenal take out just a month or so past his second
birthday.  He was also diagnosed as hypoglycemic six-months prior to that.
And he's far from alone from what I hear from others I know and also from
what the survey reveals.

>two of our's had.  Obviously at this point you are considering the basics
>with all types of adrenal disease thrown together.  I'd been wondering if
>you might be considering trying later to do a pathology results survey, but
>then you'd have to deal with people getting the results and posting them
>accurately so that's probably best done through vets.

A more in-depth survey would be nice, but I doubt most people have the data
readily available and would not be willing to go to great lengths to get it
from their vets just to fill out a survey.  Vets would definitely be the
best target for a survey of that type.  This survey was purposely made
basic.  I wanted others to be able to look at the results to get the answer
to many common questions: How long does it typically take for symptoms to
subside after surgery, etc., etc.  If someone would like to assemble
questions for any adrenal or insulinoma survey they think would be
worthwhile, I'd be happy to put together an entry form and run it along
side the current adrenal survey.

>The difference between the questions: "Is the ferret consistently exposed
>to natural light cycles?" (Y 65% and N 34%), and "Where is the ferret's
>primary housing?" (Indoors 100%) brings to mind questions on how much the
>indoor cycles actually do mimic natural ones,...

This one really threw me.  I mentioned it when I posted the survey, but due
to technical difficulties, that comment didn't appear.  I really don't
believe the respondents answered the question about natural light cycles
accurately.  I think there's some misunderstanding on what the question is
asking but don't know how to word it more clearly without having a
paragraph long question.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Shelter web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc