Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:24:12 EST
From:
Jean Turanski <[log in to unmask]>
Does anyone have any info/experience with the drug Bicalutamide?  It blocks
the androgen (male hormone) producing receptors that contribute to the
aggressive behaviour exhibited by 'adrenal' ferrets.

My vet has done some research on this drug used to treat 'adrenal' ferrets
who have not responded to Lupron as expected.  Dr. Weiss is also using it
in his current studies.  My vet is going to contact Dr. Weiss but, at the
same time, I would like to hear from anyone who is using or has used this
drug and your experiences with it.

My precious Lindsi, who is 7 1/2 yrs.  old, has only 25% of her left
adrenal remaining and has been on Lupron for 8 months.  She still exhibits
sexual aggressiveness and moderate to intense itching.  She started growing
her hair back in Sept.  after her 6th injection.  However, hair regrowth
along her flank area is sparse as opposed to the remaining hair regrowth
(along her back, neck and tail) which has returned considerably more
normal.

I have been wondering if the hair regrowth may have been triggered by the
Fall shed cycle rather than the Lupron.  The reason I question this is that
I would tend to think that if it were the result of the Lupron, wouldn't
the other symptoms have diminished/ceased?  Has anyone had this kind of
experience?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Please respond by e-mail as well as
to the FML.

Thanks to all,

Jean, Lindsi, Jodi and Kodi