Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:34:47 +0000
From:
This past week I became a foster mom for the second time.  What a joy it is
to be blessed once again with another fuzzy that I can love.  This little
girl's history includes being left in a cage in the back room of a pet
store without any contact for about 2-3 months.  She is now close to a year
old.  Once again I am angered by the fact that the people at the pet store
did not have the courage to make a decision sooner about the fate of this
girl.  They had the power to make a difference in her life but instead
chose, for whatever reason, to "wait it out".  As a result, she is a severe
biter.

I have had a lot of experience dealing with biters and that is one of
the reasons why I have her here with me today.

This female came to me late last week. The previous foster mom was kind
enough to send me some background on her and filled me in on her present
biting condition. I had an idea of what I may be dealing with and that
gave me a good start to figuring out a plan of action.

I reached in very slowly and was promptly bitten, with the speed of a
cobra, right between my thumb and forefinger, drawing blood.  I was not
diswayed and reached in again and pulled her out.  And although I was
warned to use gloves, I chose not to as I feel that the human touch is very
important.  I wanted to let her know that I was not going to be afraid of
her and that I had only good intentions for her.  I held her close and
calmly petted and stroked her, telling her how beautiful she was.  I then
put her on the floor and watched as she began to carefully explore.  She
eventually found a safe haven behind an artificial water fountain I have
in the living room.  It is perfect for ferrets because it has a dark cubby
that I have placed a flannel blanket in.  All my ferrets love this space.
Unfortunately it is made of foam and you know how much ferrets love to
redesign the shape of foam.  I left her for a day giving her some time to
settle in and begin the process of getting use to her new temporary home.

By the next day I was ready to move her to the upstairs where she would
have more contact not only with us but with her kind.  I tried luring her
out with a raisin or two, timing just right, the opportunity to make a grab
for her.  I timed it perfectly but not before getting two more bites that
were hard and deep enough to allow my blood to pour onto the floor.  And
yet I did not scream.  I just did not want to scare her further.  I managed
to get her into a position that I could safely pass her onto my husband,
giving me an opportunity to deal with my bloody hands.  We both spoke
softly and gently stroked her without further incident.  We moved her
upstairs, showed her where the amenities were and once again left her to
check things out for herself.

Yesterday, like the day before, I had the opportunity to see her play with
the other ferrets.  She can move, and run like the best of them, and she is
absolutely hilarious to watch.  I am always cautious to approach her slowly
and to let her always sniff my hand before I pick her up.  Yesterday she
sniffed at my toe and then pushed at my foot with her nose.  Then she bit
my foot.  But it wasn't hard enough to break the skin.  And I knew she was
just sending me a message that she was still in control.  One day at a
time.  One day at a time of working together, and being patient.

If you want my formula for success to win over a biter, the first thing you
can do is stop setting yourself an unreasonable deadline, which in my
opinion is any deadline.  My success is based on working with them a day
at a time and not getting frustrated with the inability to meet a
predetermined date.  Some ferrets take a year or two, some take a month.
The key is to be patient and to continually let them know you're in it for
the long haul - that you just won't give up.  Understand that these little
guys see the world differently than you and that they bite for different
reasons.  If you can do this, you will be their hero.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur 'n Fosters