Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 01:37:15 -0700
From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
There has been some posts about fuzzies at a Petco, whose bedding is pine
shavings.

Let's not go overboard here...For the short term, pine shaving are NOT
going to create a health hazard for the kidlets.  The kits are going to be
on them, what, 2 weeks?  It takes months of constant exposure to pine
shavings to become affected by them.  Short term exposure poses no
significant health hazard.

As for sneezing ferrets..ferrets sneeze...their little noses are very
sensative to dust of any kind.  Unfortunately, most pine shavings have 'a
whole lot' of wood dust and that is why they sneeze.  It isn't from the
esters being emitted by the wood.

I raise my feeder mice and rats on pine shavings and have experienced very
little respitory distress in any of my animals.  (I don't have wood
shavings for the bedding material for my ferrets...towels and sleep sacks
suffice there.)

Anywho..I would quit badgering the manager about the use of wood shavings
and ask that when ever they sell a kit, it should be brought up to the new
owner not to continue with the shavings.....

For our ferrets.

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  In spirit, Bubba and Billy-Bob)