From:
"Gregory O. Harp" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1992 04:37:27 -0500
[log in to unmask] (Katherine Fritz) writes:

>I've heard some people say this is a problem for ferrets, but
>we've never noticed a problem with dust, etc.  Could be because
>our four ferrets don't dig in their litter...??

That would help. ;)

>We use the harder clumping kind, "multi-cat" formula, or some such.
>Perhaps that makes a difference.

This helps, too.  Like I said, soon after I switched to the "No-Track"
harder-clumping formula the sneezing and coughing stopped.  With the
finer stuff, I'd find litter dust caked on the noses and lips of my
ferrets after they had been digging.  They were sneezing and coughing
quite a bit, too -- much too long for it to be a simple cold.  I was
about to give up on scoopable litter altogether until I tried this...

BTW, the brand I've been using is "Scoop Away No-Track", just FYI.  I
haven't tried any other brands' multi-cat formulas, so I can't comment
about them.  I know that the normal "Scoop Away" along with a few
other brands' normal scoopable litter (I can't think of the names
offhand, but every single one I tried) was way too dusty for ferrets,
and probably for cats for that matter.

Note that there is still _some_ dust in this litter, but not nearly so
much.  My youngest ferret will still sneeze just after digging in
fresh litter.  However, she doesn't end up all caked with dust like
before.

BTW, it's good to hear Bandit is doing well.

Greetings from Wren, Fritter, Nybble, and 'Noid.

--Greg