From:
"Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 10:50:22 -0400
I called a local pet store (Fin and Feather, Hermitage/Lakeside Road,
Richmond, Virginia) where I have bought two ferrets in the last year.  They
did say at time of purchase they were Marshall Farms ferrets, and I did get
some documentation from Marshall Farms from the dealer at time of purchase.

Today I called and reaffirmed that they buy Ferrets from Marshall Farms,
and they did say they did.  I asked what the animals were shipped in, first
comment was cedar shavings, and I asked the (apparently new clerk I was
talking to) to affirm that.  He did, very kindly, and stated he was wrong,
that they were pine shavings.  I explained very nicely to him that pine
shavings are not appropriate to animals, that pine has components that are
poisonous and unhealthy to Ferrets in particular and asked him to relay my
comments to his manager.  I have met the owner/manager at Fin and Feather
on occasion, and they are good people to do business with and are all
concerned with providing quality animals for pets.  Genuine concern.  I
doubt that this manager could complain and cause Marshall Farms to change
their ways, but if enough pet store buyers complained, there would have to
be a change to remain competitive in the market.  Again, this is in no way
any reflection on Fin and Feather especially where they are always honest
in their answers and kind to their sale animals.

Gordon Bengtson