Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:59:12 -0500
I've not been keeping up very well with the fml this week, but I just had
to post this and say a public thank you to whatever ferret guardian angles
there may be.  A few days ago I went to the garage to inspect a few things,
pulled the door to but I guess not firmly enough.  I figured it wouldn't
matter if Wikket got that open anyway, since I have a screen door he's
never gotten out of.  Wrong.  I came back in the house and only a tiny bit
of the screen had been pulled up -- I figured I might have even pulled it
loose myself -- but that horrible sinking feeling was coming up fast.  So
I quickly checked the house, then went out the front door, around to the
back where the fence started.  That was when I noticed the two dogs (one
dalmation, the other some kind of huge evil mix) two yards behind mine (I
was looking through three good size back yards, mine & the neighbor's)
were at the fence and looked to have something treed.  You know how in the
movies the hero's vision will do that telescoping thing just as they see
something critical?  I swear I could almost hear the little "chick, chick,
chick" of the lens.  Wikket was scrabbling wildly in the neighbor's yard,
trying to get through the fence to those dogs.  I was through my gate and
had jumped the fence (wearing nothing but an old house dress and underwear,
I might add!) before I realized it.  When I called to him he ran to me
underneath the neighbor's back porch, just as the big mutt leaped the fence
like a puma.  I scooped up the fuzzy and a big stick at the same time,
backed up to the fence, threw Wikket over and jumped back into my own
yard just in time to see him hissing and running away -- into my other
neighbor's yard.  I ran around my fence, the house on the corner and
finally found him on the other side of the little shotgun house with the
baby rotweilers.  I never, EVER will leave the door open again.  I may
also never walk the same again...

Sorry this is so long, but I just had to share.

charlie & ferretdini