Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:30:23 -0400
Greetings & Hallucinations.

Yes, you read right 55 ferrets need homes.  NO I AM NOT CLOSING.  Facts are
the facts, I had TWO shelters close within three months of each other and
all the ferrets landed here.  Some of them may be considered unadoptable
to a few folks, but I believe they are all adoptable, to the right homes
and experience levels.

Some of them are old, some are young, some are wonderful, and some are
"socially challenged", three need adrenal surgery, one need a mast cell
tumor removed, they have been exposed to ECE.  If you know someone within
driving distance of Cleveland, Ohio, feel free and they would make good
ferret parents, feel free to give them my phone number, and tell them to
leave a message and be patient.  I have to work to support the shelter.
Or give them my email address.

Playtimes are run by a timer.  When if goes off, whoever is out in the two
room, goes into their cage and the next group is let out.  Whoever is out
in the house, goes into their cage, and the next group is out.  I have
cages in two rooms, one in the hallway upstairs, and three in dinning room,
one in the living room.  Between the two shelter rooms their are 28 cages.
I REALLY HATE THE WAY THINGS ARE!!  It shouldn't be this way, but it is
right now.  I have a couple of families willing to foster 2 or 3.  These
ferrets don't need fosters, they don't need dumped on another shelter, they
need homes.  They need to go from here into a home where they will know
they are loved and get the attention that they need and deserve.  And where
they will remain for the REST OF THEIR LIVES!!!!

If you are thinking of becoming a shelter, sit back and think, can I handle
something like this (God forbid) if it happens?  Can I afford it?  Can I
take working 24 hours a day/7 days a week?  Sometimes you just may have to.
Can I say no to someone who calls to bring in a ferret?  Will my lifestyle
stay the same or near the same so I can continue this?  Things change in
lives, (I was there, but because of family choices, I didn't have to
close).  Can I deal?

Today I had three shelter kids that were adopted out come back, why?
Because in February when Mom and Dad thought it would be great for the kid,
because the kid wanted them and studied up on them.  They wouldn't listen
when I said, kids change their minds.  School activities may interfere,
they may loose interest, you may end up taking care of them.  Nope, not
their kid.  So, school activities start, and the kid doesn't take care of
them like they should, so what happens?  They punish the kid for not taking
care of them by bringing them back to the shelter.

So what is a shelter operator to do?  Not adopt to families?  If we did
that, how many of you wouldn't have some of the wonderful fur angels you
have now?  What is the solution?  Is there one?

One of them came back from a gentleman who had one ferret, he brought his
lease, pets were ok.  Now, management goes in to fix the pipes, sees two
ferrets and said he broke his lease, only one pet.  So the shelter kid
comes back.  What are the shelters to do?  Again, is there an answer?

I am on an emergency only incoming status.  Animal Control from around the
area are the only ones I take without question.  If I don't the ferret will
be put down.  There has been a rash of turn ins in this area.  I don't
understand it.  It is like ferrets have the plague.

But there are still the dedicated owners who think shelters are wonderful
for what we do, and the next ferret they get will be a shelter kid, just to
go out and buy one from the store.

I sound mad.  Yes, I am.  Not at any one, but the situation, not just mine,
but for shelters in general.  We are suppose to take in unwanted, train
them, care for them, find homes for them, and educate the public.  And I
think we do a pretty good job.

Ok, so I was really venting, but I am serious, if you know of anyone
looking for a ferret, give them the phone or email.  These guys need homes.

Hug the fur angels for me.

Jean
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter

PS  We are working on a web page with all the fert pics.

[PPS]
Woops!  I forgot, the phone number is 216/749-3885.  Email is [log in to unmask]