From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 21:37:12 -0700
Okay, this time it is just bill, diane is out of town...

>From:    Meesh Meesh <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Anestesia Risk and more stuff on my fuzzies (skin and
>         adrenal-help)

>From another "not a vet"...
>If anyone out there has any ideas as to how I can make a decision please
>let me know.

Let yourself listen to the vets you've talked to.  Adrenal disease itself
is NOT fatal.  Its the other things that it can cause.  And from all we can
tell its also not painful.

>From:    Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Bob C: Ferret Folklore, Pt. 2a
>It is pretty well accepted that the connection between the song and the
>Plague is an Urban Legend.

Whoa!  Pardon me while I grok the concept of folklore about folklore...

You do seem to have found that Bob didn't clearly state that he was being
European/American centric in the discussion.  Since the ferret is a
European and now American critter mostly its an understandable and
necessary restriction - he could have said that though.

>I forget where the binterong is from, but is it possible that the native
>people(s) use it in their language as we use ferret or bull or any other
>animal adjective?

You can bet on it.  And ferret is used as a verb not an adjective.  <g>

>And on the topic of these descriptors as being some sort of proof that
>folktales once existed on these animals, I disagree.

I hadn't seen that his point was that tales once existed.  Sounded like
a buildup to why there aren't stories.

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C: Forklure Stuffin' and Ferret Geeks

The gist of it was that cattus didn't mean "house tabby" only.  Which is
why the stinky mouse eater was called effectivelt polecat.

My comment is that if cattus meant small rodent eater then and someone
translates it now (or any time in the past century) that cats are the main
small rodent eaters living in houses, if a tale mentioned cattus might it
have once meant ferret?  I might be adding a logical step that you hadn't
taken.

>Actually, thanks.  I printed it out and have it in my "emergency computer
>problems tips" folder.  Next time, I will be ready.

After I wrote that, I had to do it for my own mailbox... I copied
/var/mail/killian to ~killian/mail/A which makes it show up first in my
list of local folders as A.  Your geek friends will know what that means
and make the local modifications needed.

>From:    "Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: legislation

My opinion which is most likely not exactly the same as anyone else's.

There is a big picture and a small picture problem to consider.

I oppose any licensing or restricting of ferrets that is not exactly the
same as licensing or restricting of cats.  If you can get cat licenses
through then by all means add ferrets at the same time.  If the same rules
do not apply than ferrets in general are the losers even if a very few
might be winners.  Ferrets are not harder to care for or more needful of
understanding care than cats.  Ferrets do not suffer abuse at significantly
different rates than cats as far as I can tell.

If you legislate ferrets as being different and more needful than cats then
you are giving a big foothold for those who would then want to go the next
step and make them illegal.  Ask Jeanne Carley about how the CA F&G is
using such licensing rules or other restrictions in other states as
evidence against legalizing ferrets in California - a recent topic on
alt.pets.ferrets

bill
--
bill and diane killian