From:
Maryjo Dullum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 07:09:23 -0700
Debbie,

My first thought that came to mind is insulinoma.  I'm sure many will tell
you the same thing.  The first thing you should do is take Merlyn to the
vet, a ferret experienced one, and have blood tests done, specially for
insulinoma.  Then you can go from there.  If it proves positive you will
probably be given some pediapred, keep him off sugars (including Nutrical
and a lot of sweets).  But I wouldn't wait.

Until you get him to the vet, you can use a quick "duck soup" of turkey or
chicken baby food mixed with A/D (can of diet food acquired only from vet).
You can mix it with mocha mix (a lactose free dairy creamer) or h20 to thin
after warming in the microwave.

If you find he has insulinoma, you can also treat him with herbs, which I
order from Steve and Diane at The New Rainbow Bridge (no, I'm not on the
payroll, just know what is working for me so far).  I have been treating
one of mine for two years+ (no surgery) and in January, we started him on
pediapred.  I started him on these herbs in March.  After searching on the
web, I decided to give Steve a call and talked to him extensively.  Many
have questioned me, but his blood sugar went as far down as 31 two separate
months before that time.  I consulted my vet and she was willing to try
anything that might work.

I have to say, I took him in for tests in June and his blood sugar went up
from 47 to 59, then in Aug.  it was 82 & 76 (she took it twice cause she
couldn't believe the improvement), and last week it was again 81.  So we
are cutting his preds back to .5 twice a day (was at .75).  Sure would like
to wean him off the preds.

In August I also had four of my others tested (my vet said the type of
machine she has, anything below 60 is suspect of insulinoma, and she seldom
has readings over 90, though I did have one who read 92.  Well, one of my
girls read at 56 and 58, so she said we should watch her.  I asked about
starting the herbs and she said it was worth a try.  Last week her reading
was 78.....needless to say, we were elated!

I don't know if this is Merlyn's problem, but if he was my baby, I would
get him into the vet A.S.A.P.  Good luck and let us know what you discover.

mjo and the zoo (Phantom, Lady Star, Topanga, Ragine, Bilbo, Frodo,
Frito, Pepper, & Caesar, and the dogs Garth and Darwin)