From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:42:06 EDT
A rescue in NJ has had 113 animals (they had ferrets, hedgies, herps, and
more) seized by court order due to filthy conditions and inadequate care.
Apparently a SPCA volunteer visited them a week ago to donate food, and
found the conditions so bad that the volunteer alerted officials.  You
can read more at

http://206.43.192.183/content/tue/lmg14178.html

After speaking with an SPCA official, Fuzztek shelter has learned that all
the animals have been cleaned, treated for a variety of issues and most
have been placed either temporarily or permanently into new homes.  The
SPCA volunteers spent HOURS cleaning the cages.  Dead ferrets were
allegedly found in the bottom of one of the cages, and the shelter had
other dead ferrets in ziplock bags in an old car on the property.  One or
two more (sorry, I can't recall which number we were told) of the ferrets
died shortly after coming under the custody of the SPCA.

Certain volunteers who asked to remain anonymous have expressed concern
over this shelter wanting to continue to take in further animals.  I have
seen e-mails in the past from this shelter operator (in fact I think I
corresponded with them at one point in time) offering to take overload
from other ferret shelters in NJ.

The shelter operator just doesn't seem to understand that what happened
here was cruel and repulsive, and is saying that they intend to go to
court over the issue (see the article at the link above).  I am asking all
shelter operators, ferret and pet owners in general, pet stores, etc. to
PLEASE be very careful.  Apparently a great many of the animals came from
a shelter in central Monmouth county (not a designated "ferret shelter"),
and they have been notified by authorities of the situation.

The ferrets in the care of the SPCA are being fed 8&1 Ultimate, and at this
point our contact there is saying that they are not in need of food or
anything for them.  I am sure that cash donations would always be welcome,
please call the SPCA directly if you wish to donate, their number is in the
article at the link I provided above.

Anne Ryan