From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:06:48 -0700
Hello everyone,

It recently came to my attention that yet another instance of copyright
violation has occurred on eBay regarding our photographs.  The item number
is 174635007 and they are 4 magnets made directly from our images.  When I
contacted the seller I was dismayed to learn that she purchased them at a
ferret event.  I've notified eBay, asked the seller to remove the items
and hope she will comply.

As you probably know, The Ferret Company not only discounts our merchandise
to ferret clubs and shelters but donates once a year to every club or
shelter that lets us know by mail about their upcoming event.  We really
admire and appreciate the work that's done to help rescue unwanted ferrets
and educate the public about ferrets.  It's something that I do personally
here in California in addition to my work on legalization.

But when my work is stolen, even out of ignorance, it damages my business
because these images are the direct result of my time and my expense.
Literally, copyright violations are a kind of theft and that is why the law
deals pretty harshly with violators allowing for both attorney's fees and
treble damages.

I'm asking for your help.  If anyone knows who is manufacturing these
magnets, would you please let me know.  I'm not looking to sue anyone
(unless they won't stop the practice) but I need to let them know that
this is a clear and serious violation of copyright that is actionalble in
a court of law.  I'm sure the intent is not to harm The Ferret Company or
me personally.  My intent is not to harm the violator with innocent
intentions, only to put a stop to the practice.

If you've seen our photographs on ferret magnets at a ferret event, please
let me know about it.  If you've seen other violations of our copyright I'd
appreciate knowing that too.

Please e-mail me directly.  I have so little free time that I don't receive
the FML directly. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Carley

The Ferret Company