Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 08:35:06 -0500
For information regarding AD:

AFA Medical Report--Volume 9, Number 6, 1998 Written by Leo V. Gates, III,
DVM.

http://www1.btwebworld.com/beechhouse/ferrets.htm
An informative site and basically the only one I found.

James G. Foxs' book-Biology and Diseases of the Ferret--page 360--is also
a good reference.

I know how devastating it can be to be diagnosed with AD.  It seems that
your lifes work is stripped from you.  That is not the case.  You can go
on.  It is a lot of work, but it can be done.  I truly believe that AD is
more widespread than the average person knows.  A year and a half ago I
heard relatively nothing about this insidious disease.  Then it hit.
Since then I have read about more and more people encountering this.

Let me say one thing--your regular vet can not diagnose AD.  The blood must
be sent to United or MIT for the CEP test.  Yes, I understand that the
lesions in the spine, enlarged spleen etc.  may be AD, but other illnesses
should be tested for and ruled out prior to testing for AD.  Hind leg
weakness is a "catch-all" phrase and a lot of illnesses cause this malady.

I am not a vet, but, I have been trying to collect all information I can
since meeting with this terrible disease.

Mary