From:
"The Ferret Store From NEEPS Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 08:59:54 -0500
Hello,

About live animals and the USPS (Post Office)... I have a DMM here.  This
is what can be shipped through the mail...(For those who are interested...)
[Moderator's note: A few paragraphs were shortened with advance permission.
I'm still not sure I understand, however -- is this saying that only some
birds and cold-blooded animals can be mailed?  BIG]

3.0 Live Animals

Warm-Blooded Animals
3.5
Warm-blooded animals, except the specified birds under specific conditions
detailed above, are not mailable (e.g., hamsters, mice, rats, guinea pigs,
rabbits, cats, dogs, squirrels, parakeets, and canaries).

Packaging
3.10
Any mailing container used for mailable animals must be made of at least
275-pound test, double wall, corrugated, weather-resistant fiberboard...
The container must be constructed to prevent escape of the animals while
in the mail and to preclude the container and its contents from being
crushed in normal handling....

Acceptance
3.11
The USPS does not accept any shipment of animals that the USPS reasonably
believes cannot reach its destination in a viable condition.  Such a
determination is based on factors including the expected temperatures
(weather conditions)...

Disposal
3.12
Any parcel of live animals that cannot be delivered to the addressee or
returned to the sender within 72 hours (for live day-old poultry) or
within the delivery period marked on the parcel (for other animals) is
immediately disposed of under the relevant standards.  A parcel not marked
with the delivery period is disposed of immediately if it reasonably
appears that the animals cannot be returned to the sender in a viable
condition.

 The Ferret Store/NEEPS,Inc.
 Phone: (888)833-7738
        (570)208-1933