From:
Jason and Holly Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:13:25 -0500
sorry BIG, this has some info about other animals as well as ferrets!
[That's OK... ferret-oriented.  BIG]

ok, i'm totally P.O.ed!  we went out to the pet store today to get some
litter and decide to go to the pet store where we saw the 4 y/o ferret last
month.  well he was still there!!!  btw, he's still $75.  ok, thatz not my
only complaint...i just don't know where to start!  i guess i'll start with
the ferrets since thatz what this list is for. :)  like i said, they still
had the 4 y/o and he was curled up sleeping so i couldn't see if he looked
any better than he had before.  they had a baby in there with him, who was
pretty lively and looked like a real fun baby (but what ferret isn't
fun?!). :)  so anyways, they were in an aquarium type of cage, with pine
bedding, feces and urine in one corner (no litter box), i don't remember
seeing a water bottle (and even if there had been one i'm not sure it
would've been filled up), i think they had food but i don't remember how
much there was and i'm positive it wasn't wet for the baby.  ok, on top of
all that they had peg board on top of the cage so people couldn't reach
in!!!  ok, moving on to the other animals...they had 2 or 3 rabbits in the
same type of aquarium thing as the ferrets...in fact it was right next to
the ferrets!!  again no water bottle and i'm not sure if there was food and
yes the peg board was over the top of them too.  then, there was 4 or 5
chihuahua puppies in an aquarium type of cage too, but this had a mesh top.
they were also on pine bedding and i don't recall seeing water or food.
they were all huddled on top of each other and looked deathly afraid of
humans.  but, wait, there's more!!  there were 3 guinea pigs (2 large
adults and one juvenile) in a 10 gallon (possibly a 20 gallon but i don't
think so) aquarium with no bedding what so ever and i'm not sure if there
was any water or food.  then there were tons of rats in 10 gallon aquariums
that had water but i'm not sure about food.  one of the rats had feet that
were curled like he had severe arthritis but i'm assuming he was either
just deformed or very ill.  they had a baby chinchilla in an aquarium.
quite a pattern going on here, isn't there?  i also noticed that some of
the snakes looked unhealthy too.  OH!  there was a sign on the puppy
aquarium saying "don't ask to handle the animals unless purchasing"!!!
can you believe that??!!  how am i suppose to know whether or not i want
to purchase an animal if i can't handle it???  sounds to me like they know
that their animals are unhealthy and they don't want anyone to find out
about it.  and i don't know why they'd think i'd want an animal that hasn't
had anybody handling it!  i know good and well the guy working there was
just sitting on his ass.  and of course we let him have it when we got
ready to leave.  when we said that the animals were in horrible conditions
he just said "oh is that so?" and it was obvious that he didn't care.  btw,
the manager (rick) wasn't there so we couldn't yell at him.  needless to
say we didn't purchase the litter there.  so anyways, i want to file a
complaint but i don't know where to write or who to call.  any suggestions?
i do realize that a lot of pet stores are like this (but not all!) but i
figured i better spread the word about pet world in midland michigan.
sorry this was so long, but i just had to vent!

holly
and the gruesome twosome

[log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]

http://www.geocities.com/ferretgirl88