From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:22:44 -0700
I am seeing something happen that bothers me.  I raise ferrets.  I spend a
lot of time socializing them to be sweet and as cuddly as a young ferret
can be.  Then I send them out with a new owner and get a call that they
are biting.  Careful questioning and watching has shown me one thing.  The
majority of people complaining about their young ferrets biting are causing
it themselves.  Now before you get out the flame throwers ....take a good
look at what you are doing.  Young ferrets play using their mouths.  When
they leave my place they are still playing that way, but in a gentle
manner.  They are not breaking the skin or even pinching hard.  BUT, when
you deliberately excite a young ferret they will forget the rules.  So if
you are tickling, teasing and otherwise deliberately exciting your
youngster....you are asking it to bite you...and sometimes very hard!
That is not the ferrets fault!  It is yours!  To keep from teaching your
youngster to bite, you should handle your ferret in a calm and quiet
manner.  Speak to them and attract their attention before touching or
picking up a ferret.  When playing use a toy, a rag, a towell or something
to excite them.  Keep your hands out of the picture.  After play give them
a minute to calm down and then calmly pick them up.

You are sayings but I enjoy teasing, tickling and play fighting with them
with my hands.  Okay, that is your choice and it is fine.  But do not blame
the ferret when it gets overexcited and rips your thumb open.  It has sharp
teeth and it is excited!  And it is not to blame.

I have handled literally thousands of ferrets.  Only two were actual
serious biters and those two were as close to feral ferrets as a ferret
can be.  They had never been handled!  They are the exception.  Youngsters
are not mean only crazy!  Think about it !  Would you tease, tickle and
play fight with a young human and then immediately expect him to be calm
and loving?  Take a little thought of what you are doing before you
complain that your ferret is biting.

Judith
Moonsong Ferrets bred to be the perfect companion
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net