From:
Kaye J FitzGerald-Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:33:50 +0100
Chris Lloyd asked:
>Dos anybody know where I can find documented evidence of the date rabbits
>were introduced into the UK.  I thought the Romans brought them, but last
>night ( 13th ) a program on TV stated that the Normans introduced them.
>I surmise whoever brought them also brought the ferret.

Sorry for the delay in responding, been busy protesting about our Govt's
intentions to ban ferreting along with other traditional field sports.

Tis true the Romans introduced the ferret to Britain when they invaded
us........it's also true that the Normans brought rabbits over and kept
them in walled enclosures called warrens, as a type of ready larder.  So,
either the ferrets had a long time to twiddle their thumbs waiting for
something to do.........or they were being used for something else........
like ratting perhaps????  Our only indiginous rabbit-type animal is the
hare which ground nests and wouldn't be affected by ferrets unless one fell
over a leveret:-)

My son did a project on this at school to interest his classmates in the
history of his ferrets.  If you like I could send you a copy over, it's on
" Word" if that's any use?

K.

( one of those bloody thirsty rabbiting ferret people <vbeg>)

LOST DOGS UK (List of Lost & Stolen Dogs)
http://www.pavilion.co.uk/lostdogsuk/
A Free, Internet & Web Based Service to Dog Owners