From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:31:09 -0400
Carla wrote:
>Subject: pets.com order ... All who placed an order for sale food
>... The fine >print says any orders not shipped out by the end of
>the sale will be full >price.  I placed my order 10 days ago.  It
>has not been shipped...

Is that legal under current inter-state commerce laws?  I thought price
was still attached to purchase date.  I guess there could be a way to get
around it if a place didn't actually charge until shipping, but still not
sure if it technically would then count as purchase date being the order
date or the charge date being the order date.  Since they put it in print,
if they don't charge till it's sent then I could see people being sc---ed
legally by them if it's the latter.  Anyone know the current laws in this
regard?  (We still buy from The Ferret Store, so we aren't getting stuck,
ourselves; they are always reliable and responsible from our experience.
Often there is nothing anywhere near as good as someone you know you can
count on through thick and thin.  We KNOW we can count on the folks at The
Ferret store; 'nough said.)

Yes, we've had mail problems; the server folks have been trying to find it
but then it goes again, so they try again... It's currently the only one
with a local pop and our bills otherwise would be horrendous even with
bursting.  Sorry.

In N.J.  we have permits which are actually very easy to get, but there are
pieces of info which you must supply each year and some basic and very
logical rules to follow, and if you read the permit you'll see that you can
be inspected.  The PRIVATE permits are done as follows: a person obtains a
ferret which comes with a temporary permit, then files with the Non-Game
Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife complete with submitting a $10 check
per colony (Can't recall what the upper size is since we have no intention
of having that many here, or if it is different with non-neutered ferrets
since we have all alters and spays always.).  It is straight-forward, it
doesn't treat ferrets as if they were dangerous, and it is fair.  Kim post
yesterday about how shelters in N.J.  become licensed.  We're very lucky
here with the quality of our people in that dept.  (as well as in our
health dept.  and some others) because we've got people who are willing to
learn, very logically fair, exceedingly informed, etc.  I've worked with
them in relation to several issues, and while I still would like them to
finally reach the point where ferrets are re-classified as "domestic"
rather than "exotic pet animal" I can understand their desire to be
cautious because they temper it with fairness and logic; they adjust along
with the data as it becomes available.  It's a very good state for people
who love ferrets.