From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:19:27 -0400
Vicki wrote:
>Kwinkle, All your scientific findings would sound more convincing and
>believable if you were to use your name and not your computer nickname.

Ditto naming the actual professional with whom you have claimed to work on
this project: several people have tried to track same down for verification
without knowing names and (as far as I know since no one wrote to others
shouting "Bingo!" and I sure had no luck) have found that every possible so
far located from the things written has said that, no, she or he were not
only involved in such an endeavor nor knew of anyone else with the
associations you mentioned who was involved in such a project or had even
heard of same.

I'm not saying that some of the phytoestrogens could not have promise,
because some may, but I haven't seen anything in what you have written
which would intrigue me at this point or which resembles actual scientific
work.  Trying to adopt a certain writing form doesn't translate to
scientific method.  Meanwhile, there already are existing very effective
treatments which do have that background.

So, who are you working with, which phytoestrogenic sources are you
working with, etc?  Black box "medicine" doesn't impress me in any positive
fashion, but does make me doubt and wonder unpleasantries (which I don't
like doing).  Obviously, that is not the reaction you want, so you'll need
to be more straightforward with the list members because I know I am far
from alone from numerous private letters I've received in the many months
since you first mentioned this -- as nebulously then as now.

Vicki gave you some direction; now I am doing the same.  Please, consider
either taking these pieces of advice to heart and being forthcoming with
the information people would need to trust the approach enough to discuss
it with their veterinarians, or consider refraining from saying things
about this until actual reliable and verifiable research work has been done
since you are accidentally undermining the very trust you apparently desire
with this current approach.  I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but people
gave you enough benefit-of-the-doubt to try to verify using what little
you posted in terms of details (without success, possibly due to lack of
details), yet still you present things while saying so little that they
can't be checked into.

People aren't going to put some mystery-compound in their ferrets or
themselves (at least I hope they won't) just because someone unknown says
to do so.  If FMLers were so naive we'd probably have the CA F&G or Rudy
Guilianni posting here using nicknames and offering compounds designed to
kill ferrets!!!!!!!!  ;-)

Instead, FML members mostly understand that they need to check with their
vets and look in reliable references.  It's wonderful that people are so
responsible toward their ferrets.  Please, consider modifying your post
approaches to reflect these needs and concerns of the community.  As Ela
once mentioned, even water can be deadly if taken in too large amounts or
in the wrong way.  People here have learned to be careful -- have taken
that caution to heart.

Sorry if this sounds cold, but a lot of people have waited a long while
to see these posts say something that can be checked into reliably, so I
figured that as long as Vicki brought it up I may as well say what sorts of
things would make the posts more than something to skim over for me or for
the many who have asked me if I or anyone I know has managed to learn more.
The complaints always boil down to the same general set mentioned above,
which it could be useful for you to know and understand.  You need to give
names (your's and the collaborators'), sources, references, to have
verifiability, to use scientific method and numbers, and to list contents
of the meds -- just as MINIMAL data.  These keep coming up repeatedly as
serious concerns and doubts.  If you can't give those pieces now you'll
be best off utilizing patience till whatever research alliances you may
acquire with any vets make it possible to release such accumulated
information because you'll need to work with someone who knows research,
anyway, if you plan to pursue the project in a reliable and verifiable
fashion.

>She made and in a way, saved my life.

Sonya, Steve and I are so glad that Renny was able to help you so much and
so sorry for your pain.  As Margie wrote to me when Meltie died, "As long
as she is in your heart she is not really gone".